What do you think “100% Committed” means?

Yesterday I got a message from a woman who wants to attend Power Up for Profits Live! who said, “I’m 100% committed to growing my business, but can’t afford to get the $197 refundable deposit ticket.” poor

What this means is this, the woman puts down a small deposit that she gets back when she arrives at the event. She even lives within a few minute drive of the event location.

She received the invitation to attend from someone she knows who bought a ticket that came with a second one for a friend.

So, she’s 100% committed with lots of restrictions.

Let’s get a reality check on this. Here are the facts:

1. She wants to grow her business

2. She says she is 100% committed

3. She won’t put down a small amount of money to hold her seat knowing she will get her money back.

She even said, “I know the event is exactly what I need and wonder if I can get a seat with no deposit?”

Really?!?! No! You cannot.  really

Apparently, what she feels is 100% committed and what I KNOW is 100% committed are two different things.

Here’s the deal, if she can’t see her way clear of putting down a small deposit that she will get back, she is NOT going to be willing to invest in other things for her business. It’s that simple.

I’m not going to beat around the bush here to coddle someone into thinking that running a business doesn’t take some risk. I would be doing others a great disservice by pretending otherwise.

I’m not sure where people get misled into believing that growing a business does not require time, money and effort. It does. And if you’re not willing to put “skin in the game” you’re NOT 100% committed.

You can argue that point until the cows come home, but it’s likely by you holding on to that belief you are also holding on to your business floundering.

And here’s the deal… some people should not go into business for themselves. They are not cut out for all that comes with the process.

Ask any successful entrepreneur what it takes to build a business and you will find a common thread. You have to treat a business like a business. And that means you have to invest time, money and energy.

Otherwise, as my business coach says, “You have a hobby not a business.”

Are you someone who is 100% committed and ready to transform your business? If you said YES! then you’re ready for a super event.

In a few days, some amazing entrepreneurs are coming in from around the United States and Canada for Power Up for Profits Live! in Phoenix, Arizona.

This is a three day transformational event. And… I want to make this as easy as possible for you to attend. I have 4 complimentary (refundable deposit) tickets left.

This is on a first come basis. Once these are gone, they’re gone.

To reserve your spot go to http://www.powerupforprofitslive.com/register.htm and make your 100% commitment.

Comments

1. Hi Kathleen,
    This one is a hard one to answer, at least for me. I can see both sides of this. If it were me, I would have a hard time getting the money together because I do not have support from family and friends for my online business but I do believe that I would at least try to borrow if I were “100% committed.”

2. Kathleen,

I have personally jumped in and put something on a credit card if it seemed to offer just what I need to build my business. But I have noticed that many other people just don’t do that, even if they can afford the fees. And some people are living so much on the edge that they don’t have credit cards or means to borrow money. For those people, I would say “Get a job first. Sustain yourself. And then when you are ready – if ever – then start to focus on building a business.” You can start building a business on a shoe string – if your basic bills are covered – rent, car, food, clothing, medical. But if you really can’t yet afford it, then do what it takes to first earn the money or find a way to be part of the support team for a wage.

Warmly,

Dr. Erica

• Kathleen Gage says:

Well said Dr. Erica. Some people should get a job and realize that building a business is not for the faint of heart. It takes more than the desire to do so. It takes work, time, money, energy, and most of all the willingness to get comfortable with being uncomfortable. Thanks for your insights.

3. Hi, Kathleen,
    The refundable deposit is a great motivator, and if I lived closer, I’d be at your event. :) Unfortunately, the airfare and accommodation would be horrendous and that I can’t afford, being on a fixed disability income with royalties trickling in quarterly. Writing is my hobby, (it keeps me sane) although I’d love to be able to reach more people with my books. I write romantic suspense, but the stories involve the bonds of family and community in overcoming problems. The reviews I’ve received have been (mostly) favorable – four and five stars. I’d love to be able to streamline social media in such a way that I’d have more time to write. I’ve learned how to set up and maintain a blog, a website, author pages, Facebook pages, twitter, Google+, LinkedIn and others. I would appreciate any tips you can give me. Love your emails. Keep them coming, and if you feel so inclined, visit my website and tell me what you think. Cheers in advance of your event. Lorraine http://lorrainenelson.weebly.com

• Kathleen Gage says:

Thanks for your comments Lorraine. I do know it is not always feasible. The point of my post was to show that here this woman was within driving distance so no hotel, no flight, a refundable deposit. No financial expense for the experience.

There are times when it is not appropriate to incur expenses and other times it is. But in the case of this woman, none would have been incurred so I seriously question what 100% means to her.

4. Often the most caring and compassionate thing you can do for someone is say no and hold strong on your own standards and principals. Others have managed to find a way and it wouldn’t be fair to others to make exceptions. Plus it’s a deposit..you get it back if you show up. So suit up and show up. Stop fooling yourself. I don’t necessarily think it is a bad thing for people to ask for what they want….sometimes you get a yes and you won’t get a yes if you don’t put yourself out there and ask. That usually takes a kind of courage so I can acknowledge this person for having that kind of courage and chutz·pah. I don’t have a judgement on this persona for asking, but like you I also have a sense they may be fooling themself. I know…I’ve been there myself. Have had a “hobby” business for way too long. I’ve recently recommitted to really rolling up my sleeves and making this happen. And no I won’t be able to attend cause I will be rolling up my sleeves in another sort of way that weekend…taking action by speaking at another conference that weekend. I’d definitely love to be there though, maybe next time. Have an awesome event Kathleen. I know you will.

• Kathleen Gage says:

Thanks for your comments Jan. Yes, we must decide if our business is a business or it is actually a hobby. I don’t judge what another wants to do but those who succeed would often shock those who are wondering how it’s done.

It takes sacrifice and the more successful you become the bigger the sacrifice. Some would say, “Well, when your successful you can afford the sacrifice, but yet, we had to start with something that took us out of our comfort zone to get to something bigger and bigger and bigger.

It’s all relative.

5. Kathleen – you are right on. You want to come? Put it on a credit card. No, I’m not saying you should go into debt. But, seriously, you are going to have a check in hand to deposit in your bank account before that credit card bill will even come in the mail! (In all fairness, if there is travel/lodging involved, that adds up. But in this scenario, there are no additional costs!)

And even if it wasn’t free/refundable – if you aren’t ready to put down $197 for a live training event, then you aren’t ready for that training – you aren’t ready to have your butt kicked by Kathleen for three days! LOL!

I’ve learned this the hard way, and have set some ground rules for my own business within the last year. I offer a long-term marketing service – an investment in building your business. It may take 3-6 months to see results from that investment. I no longer accept new clients who want to pay the first payment via PayPal. That’s a red flag (I’m not working with startup entrepreneurs; these are established business owners who should have a credit card – or a debit card with $$ on it – period.) I’ve also changed my terms so that applicants have to pay 3 months in advance, not just one. And I ask for payment upfront, with no refunds (unless I don’t accept you as a client, then the refund is immediate).

If the client isn’t willing to make that investment in themselves, then they just aren’t ready!

• Kathleen Gage says:

LOL You made me smile Terri. Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately, there are those who see the issue of making investments something that gets them really upset.

“You don’t understand!” they insist.

Yes! I do and anyone at Power Up for Profits Live is going to find out more about the journey we took in our business to get it off the ground which included getting a part time job making $7 an hour to put food on the table. Yes, I do understand. More than many would realize.

Most of my colleagues and peers have had to make some pretty incredible sacrifices that would make the hair stand on end on the back of their neck, but they knew it had to be done.

It’s about priorities.

I see this with people who say they don’t have time to create products the whole while spending hours a day in Facebook passing around jokes, videos of cute dogs (and I love cute dogs) or whatever, and wonder where their day went.

Business takes effort, focus and yes, sacrifice.

6. Hi Kathleen,
    It is amazing to me that so many do not appreciate all the effort you put out there trying to help others. They think you are totally into it for yourself, when nothing could be further from the truth. I am sure that her not being even willing to put money down infuriates (insults) you, because of all the effort you expended and value you are giving for little or no recompense.
    Some people aren’t ready to start a business, they haven’t developed their WHY to the point they are ready to commit. They are in the infancy stages, and obviously need to develop their personal growth. They are defensive and make excuses, objections…not ready to take that seat away from someone else who IS ready.
    Hang in there, and don’t let those kind of people upset you, move on. Your mind is too valuable for that….

• Kathleen Gage says:

Thanks for your comments and kind words. There are times it is frustrating when people say they want something and yet, they are not willing to do what it takes.. Granted, there are times where it just isn’t the right thing to do in their particular situation, but other times it’s necessary to take a leap of faith.

It reminds me of the story where a man said to a famous athlete, (I’m paraphrasing) “I would give anything to be as good as you.” To which the athlete said, “No you wouldn’t because if you would you would be practicing for hours every day. You would make the sacrifices I’ve made. You would stretch yourself beyond where you thought you could go. So no, you would not give anything to be as good as me or you would be doing it.”

7. Margaret Saizan says:

Kathleen, hmmm…you got me to not only open the email because of a very compelling subject line but here I am commenting – and this is not something I normally do – too busy running my businesses – i am very judicious about what i read and respond to. So hats off to you!

First off I LOVE the way you set up this event with the money back guarantee providing one actually follows through and shosw up. That gives folks the motivation to step up and follow through and it also values the event host. With that being said, this gal did make a request, which as one person on this thread has already pointed out – and that is a bold thing – to my way of seeing it, that is a way of her being committed to her business – she has expressed the willingness to ask for what she wants. But as a person who has been a self employed entrepreneur for many years, I have had cycles and seasons with my finances – where money was not a problem – six figures in the bank and liquid… but there have also been a few times over the years – like when the economy tanked in 2008 and I lost a big account and went through my cash reserves before I could replace that work, where I was literally scraping money out of cookie jars to get gas in the car and food on the table. and I would not have had $197 to spare, even with the promise that I would get it back. I am now grateful for that experience because it was very humbling and I gained some new perspective. So with that being said, my personal approach with this particular person would have been to try and encourage her to find a way to raise the $197.00. I personally would not have assumed that her inability to come up with the $197.00 means that she isn’t committed to her business. To me it just means she has an obstacle to break through. I used to be big into confronting people (i am a trained life/business coach as well),Tough love does have it’s place – but and/unless I reallly know the person well and am personally familiar with their patterns and stuck places, more often these days I opt to motivate through encouragment instead of confrontation.

• Kathleen Gage says:

Thank you for your comments Margaret. In that I have had my business 20 years, I’ve seen and experienced a lot. As you, I too have been through lean times and I have also had very flush times.

I am not assuming anything with the woman in question. Actually, I didn’t share everything but I can assure you what the woman said and what she was doing was in conflict.

There is something to be said for having “skin in the game.” I can remember times where my guts were in knots when we barely had any money and yet, I knew I needed to invest in my business. And I’m talking small amounts at one point.

I wouldn’t assume for a minute that everyone should be at my event. But based on what transpired I can assure you, the woman was not committed.

Appreciate your comments and input.

8. Margaret Saizan says:

when I wrote my comments, I was aware that you probably weren’t sharing everything – so thank you for expanding on that. I get it Kathleen. One of my hero’s, Joseph Campbell, the late great teacher of myth, in his model of the heroic journey, taught that when one makes the committment the helpers appear. And I have seen that happen for me in my own life. It also seems to follow that when you are called to step up,and step out… there is often a counter tension, a temptation, if you will to collapse. It’s like a test of sorts – and what it takes to break through and go to the next level..is to get through that seemingly insurmountable obstacle that is right there in front of you – in this case, a refundable deposit. At any rate, thank you for hearing me out, and best of luck on Power up to Profits. I am sure it’s going to be fabulous!

• Kathleen Gage says:

We are very excited about. Not only three days of non stop learning, I’m celebrating 60 years on this earth. Whhoooo hoooo!

9. Okay Kathleen here I go… I have been in business many years in a totally different business and made a really good living doing so. It was time for a change and with everything that happened in my life over the past few years it was well over due. With that said as you know I have done some writing over the years problem it was still in my computer… Along comes some Crazy woman that I meet at a seminar in Eugene. It was the kick in the butt that I needed to finally do something! I trained many people over the years for free just to help them succeed with their business. Well now I make money with it and as you know I have published some Ebooks (after updating them) and the first Children’s book in the series. I place the blame on you for getting me off of my butt and getting it done. Why? You tell it like it is! Thanks for that and I wish you a happy Birthday and I wish I could be there.
    Best of luck Bill

• Kathleen Gage says:

You made me smile from ear to ear on your comments Bill. And so glad you are doing what you love AND making money at it.